Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Part 2

So, after sitting with Andrew and discussing my goals for 2010, which were:

1. Qualify for Kona Achieved

2. Break 9hrs 10min at WA Achieved 9hr 6min

3. Win A/G at WA 4th

4. Run sub 85min @ 1/2 Ironman 86min @ G.C 1/2 including T1 & T2

5. Run low 80min 1/2 Maration N/A Did not run one

6. Break 4hrs 15min Shep 2010....Top 3 in A/G Achieved 4hr 11min......7th

7. Swim sub 27min @ 1/2 Ironman 27min 48sec

8. Swim sub 55min @ Ironman 56min 31min

9. Continue to Race "A" Grade @ FCC N/A no racing this season

10. Sub 9hrs 25min @ NZ 2011 N/A decided not to race this

We decided which ones were achievable and which ones might not be. My program was then designed around the main goals.... Goal 1 & 2!!

The general talk about no.3 was that you just never know who might turn up and let's not worry about that one, just focus on no.1!

So, with that in mind, I set off in a new direction and started the new program. The entire program was new to me at it entailed a different approach, which I was a little hesitant to begin with, however once it got going I became more and more confident that I made the correct choice in http://www.triathlonandmultisportcoaching.com.au/ & Andrew.

My first real gauge of how I was travelling with the new program was at Yeppoon 1/2 Ironman in August, some 3 months after starting the program.

My race report can be found here:

www.xaviercoppock.blogspot.com/2010/08/great-start-to-my-season.html

in which I did an 8min pb, with a 2nd in my age group and was hardly disgraced being beaten by Bradley Bullock (who won 2010 WA 30-34 in 8hrs 55mins) by 3min. Charles Rodgers finished 3rd in his lead up to Kona (9hrs 14min Kona 2010). A great start to my year.

After this race, and being very happy with how everything was going I was really looking forward to my next race at Gold Coast in October. In the mean time, training had started to pick up and my volume for the running was heading towards 70k per week. (Not a great amount for a smaller runner, but took its toll on this 92k+ frame) I knew that I was training, unlike previous years.

Heading up to Gold Coast in October got me excited, not only for another good performance but to get away from the Melbourne Winter also. Little did I know that the weather was terrible there also!! The race was held in torrential downpour and safety was the order of the day.

My race report:

www.xaviercoppock.blogspot.com/2010/10/season-going-well-but-along-way-from.html

This race produced my first Win in my age group and a massive run pb being 86min for the run. Once again I was very happy with how things were going and the direction we were headed to achieve my goals. In saying this the big thing that I had noticed was that I had only been doing 1/2 the amount of cycling to previous years, but still riding the same!!

From here, I had only one more test before IMWA. Shepparton 1/2 Ironman. I had always used this as a gauge of how I am tracking leading into Ironman. And this year was no different, I wanted to have a good ol' fashioned crack at Shep to see if I could break 4hrs 15min. With the conditions being perfect for race day, I produced a 4hr 11min although not my most comfortable race.

See here:

www.xaviercoppock.blogspot.com/2010/11/final-lead-up-race-completed.html

My confidence was sky high after this race and with only a few weeks to go, I was looking forward to this Ironman like none before!!

My only hiccup was my back, hurting it only 2 weeks out. Getting expert advice and treatment as soon as I could enabled me to race IMWA with full confidence of achieving my goal.

We all know my busso result and reaching my goals.....but just in case you missed it ;-), here is is again:

www.xaviercoppock.blogspot.com/2010/12/what-to-say-where-to-start.html

To top off my most successful season to date, I came out on top of the Australian 1/2 Ironman series in my age group.

This is going to be 1 year that I will remember for some time to come, however, I am very determined to make 2011 a more successful year than 2010.

Stay tuned.

For now...

X-Man

PS. The http://www.on-running.com shoes are going great guns and am really happy that I have been given the opportunity to race in these. If you are looking for a great shoe, feel free to contact me for advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment