Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Am finally finding some....

Some what??

Some of these:


No, they are not mine, and mine probably are never going to go as fast, but they have changed from these:



No, they are not mine either, but they are some serious cycling legs!!! I am just finding some decent run legs, especially at this early stage of my preparation for Kona!! My legs do not look like anything of the top pictures, however I am glad to say that they don't look like the following either!!



So back to the reason for my post, i did a 7.3k fun run a few weeks ago and punched out a 26min 14sec race placing 2nd overall averaging (3.35min k pace). This is something that I used to be able to do for a 1k max effort but to be able to maintain that pace over 7+k I was stoked. Yes, yes I know, it is not 42.2k or even 42.2k after a 180k ride, but hey we are in March and Kona is just over 200days away (at time of writing!)


After that, back at run squad on the Wednesday, we did a 5k set with 1k max, 1k solid, 1k tempo, 1k solid, 1 k max. My time for the 5k was 18min on the nose, so even with a few solid efforts I still maintained the 3.35min k pace. Following on from this I still managed to turn over 70k of running for the week. Something unheard of for me, but must say that I am loving it!!


First time ever that I would take a run over a ride. I have changed, for the better.


The other fact the I contribute to my running speed so far is my on-running shoes as they are transforming my running style from heal strike to mid foot running. Which I must say that I am loving, it has taken me a while to convert and still haven't completely, however the results are definitely showing for me.

I am looking forward to getting my new pair next week which are a more durable trainer which for a bigger guy like myself will give the shoes more longevity for training and then I can once again have a training on and a racing on, and as the motto goes, it is like running on clouds. They are definitely a shoe to try if you want to learn to run fast!!
I do thank Luke & Florian for their support and look forward to building the relationship further into the future!!
For now...
X-Man


3 comments:

  1. X - that is phuking awesome mate. I remember the conversation in Feb 2009 after Husky when you said it's time to focus on the run now. Hasn't it paid dividends.

    Giddy up,
    Komo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Komo,
    Has been a long time coming, 2 yrs!! Am really seeing the benifits and gaining the knowledge on all aspects of running for triathlon.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. so ahhhh you like mens legs by the looks of things here? interesting... very very interesting!

    ReplyDelete