Monday, August 3, 2009

Where am I at??

This is something that I have being asking myself since my operation. I was curious to see if I would have lost any conditioning by having the op, and including the recover period.

Well, over the weekend I have found some answers. I commenced training 1 week earlier than originally planned with being away in country Victoria on work duties, having spare time in the afternoon/evening, I decided to get back into training. I set a condition that as long as my body felt good I would train the next day and so on. However, with any sort of discomfort, my training would once again be put on ice.

So, my week went like this:

Monday: 1hr 20 min run.
Tuesday: 2hr 15 min run. 1 k swim
Wednesday: 3.1 k swim
Thursday: 30min run
Friday: 1hr 5 min run

Come Friday afternoon I was excited about the prospect of getting back on my stead and getting some k's and hours in the saddle. I organised with a few lads to attempt a 5hour ride, hoping to cover some 150k's. Maybe a bit ambitious, but was a good way to see how my legs were.

So we headed down to Mornington....with a nice tail wind. After overcoming 3 punctures within the group we turned around to discover that the return 75 clicks was going to be a battle. I knew that my legs were not ready for that distance 1st up. So with another 2 punctures within the group and a stop at bike store as tubes and canisters were null and void.

I managed to get back to Williamstown, only just. My thoughts were quiet angry due to not enough nutrition, 5 punctures amongst us, etc etc. I soon was reminded that a 150k ride after 2 weeks off the bike was a good effort, my mindset changed and I was satisfied with the ride.

Sunday morning was a sorter ride and a long run. I was pleased with this decision due to the fact that Saturday's ride took a fair bit out of me, along with the running during the week. So getting through a 2 hour ride with 1hr 40min run off the bike my legs actually felt ok, nothing flash but ok. The only thing that I had to get through for the rest of the weekend was a 40min run in the arvo with the final 20mins being at a good tempo, was a scary thought after the weekends sessions to date. Headed out the door at 5pm (couldn't delay it any more) and headed out for an easy 20mins, wow, my legs felt really good. So when time to turn around, I had a bit of a crack to get the HR going and see how long I could hold a good tempo. The answer for me was the whole return trip.

So, after a reasonably heavy week of training, which my body coped with really well, I have no idea what to expect at Yeppoon, will it be a PB or a race to get a gauge of where I am at.

Did an easy 1hr 50min spin this morning and will head out with Benny and Stormy in the morning for another 2hr 30min spin on my TT bike to continue to get used to it. In the arvo will throw my arms over in the pool for a few k's or more and a run to finish off the day.

So with Yeppoon under 2 weeks away, I am going to head down to a local duathlon Sunday to have a good blowout. The goal is the run off the bike. To see where that is at. Am not fussed about the other two legs, although I will have a good crack at them.

Then off to Yeppoon for my first 1/2 Ironman for the season and then back it up the following week with an Olympic distance. This should help improve my race fitness fast as all training does is improve training fitness. You need to race to get race fitness!!!

My curiosity is starting to get to me as it has been 6 months since I decided to go my own way and self coach. I have been really happy with my progress, even though a few minor hiccups along the way. Although the only way to tell will be on race day.

For now...

X-Man

PS. My weight has stabilised at 92 kgs. Which for this time of year puts me about 3-4 kgs lighter than last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment