Thursday, November 15, 2012

Next Stop... Shepparton 70.3

As I have stated in earlier posts, I have decided to have a big season of racing.  Not to perform at my best in every race, just to get a few races under the belt.

After Murray Man 2 weeks ago, this weekend sees me back in the 30-34 a/g at Shepparton 70.3.

A quick update on how things are going:

Swim: Average, if I swim 29min it will be a good result

Bike: Ok, aiming for a fast first lap and then hold on for the 2nd sub 2hr 20min will be a good time.

Run: I am happiest running at the moment, with the only concern is the constant flaring up of the sciatica at the moment.  It has been really random and comes on without any regularity.  I am getting treatment a couple of times a week just to free it up.  So based on this I will either run just under 1hr 30min or blow out to 1hr 50min if it flares up on race day.

Shep 70.3 for me is just for a good hit out.  This will be my 5th race here and one that I have had good results but never been on the podium.  A few years back I went 4hr 11min and finished 7th in my a/g after towing the group around on the bike.

To have a good result, I need the wind to be blowing a bit to break up the bike and give me some time to catch the swimmers and put time into the runners.

After Shepparton, I head to Canberra to race for the first time there which I am looking forward to.  Canberra will be my last race for the year.

In the new year, I am off to race the Trek Albany Triathlon in WA, then hit Auckland 70.3, then Geelong Long Course before I have another crack at Ironman Melbourne.  I have a couple of other options in mind also and will make decisions on those races as it gets closer.

So, what am I looking for by doing all these races??

Just to have some fun with races that I know and races that I don't.  To experience a few different courses without any expectation on results.  I know once I get to the start line I will want to race well, however I will not be focusing on 1 race more than an other.

To get a series of races in the legs will also save me from the real long hard slog of training leading into Melbourne, yes I will have long days, but this will be mixed in with racing.  A perfect blend I think (hope!!)

For Now...

X-Man

PS. If anyone out there is willing to offer any kind of support, please either leave a comment and I can contact you or send an email using the contact section in the top left of my blog.  I am happy to discuss what I can do in return.

My next blog will discuss "Operation 30"!!

1 comment:

  1. operation 30 sounds like fun mate... to run a sub 30 min 10k??? ;) good luck in Shep...youll tear it up.
    Rosco

    ReplyDelete