Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The right fit!

Since WA Ironman, I have been searching for the right shoe to suit my feet.

I raced in asics 2140 prior to the Ironman and had no reason to change, so decided to run the marathon in the same shoes. My feet blistered badly, which, by never running a marathon previously I thought was normal. After chatting to a few fellow athletes (if I can be classed as one!) this was not a normal thing and had a few suggestions about changing my footwear. So since then I have been on the hunt for the elusive running shoe.

So I went and tried the Brooks T4 Racer at Geelong Half Ironman, purely for racing and was happy with this for any distance up to Half Ironman, I just don't think that this light weight show would be suitable for my frame for anything over this. Also, I am unsure what the life span would be, as in, how many races I would get out of the shoe before the shoe is finished. However, the shoe is comfortable and I am very happy to wear it in the suitable races.

So, for now I was happy with my purchase for my racing shoe up to Half Ironman. Now the search was to find a good lightweight training shoe, that might double as my shoe for Ironman races. The whole 1 per year that I plan to do. I tried a pair of New Balance 749's thinking that they were suitable to my feet. Unbeknown to me, these shoes were very unsuitable and gave me sore feet into my Achilles.




So I quickly decided to try again with shoes. I stumbled on a pair of New Balance 903's which were on sale at the time, so I didn't part with much coin to test ride a new pair.


( The pair on the left are the new model the 904's which I am on the look out for now.)
So with the 903's I gave these shoes every test under the sun from track running to gravel running to pavement running and they passed with flying colours. The only downside is that because they are a lightweight shoe, they need replacing often. I failed to do this and after running them into the ground, I developed a foot injury.

So unable to find the 904's at this time I am trying 2 other type of shoes: Brooks Defiance and New Balance 749's.

So far the Brooks have been my pick of the two shoes, due to having no blisters after the first run in them. Whereas the New Balance give me constant grief with the new design and the stitching being in the wrong spot for running. The stitching rubs just nicely one my toe. So for now I will be still looking for the New Balance 904 hoping that NB haven't changed the stitching on these also.
The Brooks have taken over as my preferred training shoe. Any other suggestions are more than welcome on shoes that work and shoes that don't.
For now...
X-Man

No comments:

Post a Comment