Thursday, July 23, 2009

The waiting game!!

So, it has almost been 1 full week since my operation and how am I feeling??

A few words describe it: Bored and Frustrated.

For the first time, I have decided to follow doctors orders and have the full amount of recovery time off to give my body the best chance to recover.

In order to do this, I have had to mentally change my mindset for Yeppoon in 3 weeks. No longer am I looking to smash my pb, now it is a matter of getting the race under my belt to "re-start" my preparation for the WA Ironman. This is hard to take as to date I have pb'd every 1/2 that I have done and going up there with such a good start to the year training wise and seeing every leg improve in training. I am hoping that I surprise myself and have a good race 4hr 25min - 4hr 32min. Otherwise the goal will be to enjoy the race and more importantly enjoy the "cans" with old mate BIG BOY!!!

Many a time this week, I have felt on the improve until my body would decide that I am feeling to well and make me "move my bowels" and lay me flat on my back again. (For those that don't know I had an operation to correct some bowel issues) Will let you decide where the "entry point" was!!! Not a pleasant feeling.

So trying to plan when I am going to commence training has been put on hold as I will have to listen to my body for this to occur. Every day has been different to the previous as far as improvement. Tuesday, I felt like my improvements were coming along leaps and bounds, however yesterday (Wednesday) was a step back. I had a constant pain all day which lead to me throwing all plans of training out the window. Today is a different day and I hope that my improvements will continue, not only better than yesterday, but better than Tuesday.

My plan earlier in the week was to "maybe" get on the wind trainer over the weekend, just to spin my legs. At this stage the chances of that happening are zero to none!! Just walking around for 10-15min in every day life takes a lot of effort at the moment. Also, with the amount of antibiotics and pain relief tablets (some say EPO!!) my body is not handling the "highs & lows" to well with being unable to predict how I will be feeling 4 hours later, let alone 4 days time.

I travel next week for work, so this will give me another week to sit and think about the pain I have had in my ass. Hoping that everything recovers well and my body can cope with the amount of driving to be done, my aim is to get training going again the following weekend. My feelers have been out asking about the training that I will get back into. The advice which I have been given (thanks mate ;) ) has given me some confidence that I should get back to some reasonable training in the first week.

As for now I sit on my rump and think about training (some say that it is the thought that counts and not the outcome of the thought!) and wonder what others are doing and if they are making improvements whilst I loose some conditioning. Time will tell.

A positive that I can take from the operation is that my weight has dropped significantly and for the first time I have been able to stay under 92kgs consistently. My food intake has been adapted to suit my lack of training, so NO I am not starving myself either!! If i can maintain or drop some more, this will be a good springboard to resume training at.

For now...

X-Man

1 comment:

  1. As I told Stormy the other week maybe you need to let a bit of air out of the tyres to improve the bikes handling on the softer surfaces. On another aspect hopefully the bike is ok, no doubt the Easton handlebars will be fine as having crashed mine on the mtb a few times!!

    quiggs

    ReplyDelete