Monday, May 21, 2012

Not much training, but ALOT going on!

So, after making the call on not racing Ironman Port Macquarie I have just rested, as in done nothing.  I have really enjoyed being "social" again and attending functions, catching up with friends and just having that "normal" (well kind of) life.  I have only had 2 training sessions since just within the last few days, a small run and a 2 hr REALLY easy ride on the weekend.

I am really happy that I made this decision and that I have given my body the chance to fully recover from a solid training program since the new year, albeit a little inconsistent with a few injuries.  Getting the niggles out of the body has been a very important part of me resting.

However during this time, there has been a fair bit happening.  I have been the subject to a University Assignment, invited to do a Rotary Talk (tomorrow night) and also working closely once again with my athletes who are upcoming their races at Cairns both Ironman and 70.3 races as the season comes to close.

With the addition of another few athletes, my motivation and enthusiasm for success for ALL that I coach is as high as ever.  With this I have been reading different articles from other more coaches to continue my education within the sport.  Also reading a few articles about long course training and my approach for my athletes.

This also leads from my blog Prepare to Succeed, Don't Chase the Fail about preparing yourself to have success.

Whilst reading a blog from Sean Foster (Fluid Movements Melbourne) he talks about balancing all 3 disciplines and planning.  A paragraph from this blog is:

Finally, the period of time you allocate to train for your goal race is critical. The longer the block, the more latitude you will have to strategize within the periodised plan.


This is something that I consistently talk to my athletes about.... Not rushing, this is the key.  Sean has coached a girl by the name of Kristy Hallet from her first triathlon to her recently turning pro after having the fastest female age group time at Ironman Melbourne.

Another paragraph from his blog is:

The longer the period of time you allow yourself to reach a goal, say 30-50weeks prior to your ‘A’ Race, the more gradual the increase in effort can be and the more effective the end result.  


This is something that I am finding also.  The more time you have to prepare for you main race, the more success.  Those you understand this, go a long way is achieving their goals.  Those who drift in and out, become consistent, then fade, have a very inconsistent race career.  I can attest for this by the year I "tried" to self coach.  Training was very inconsistent and my result at the end of the day replicated that.

After understanding this theory, my results have also reflected strongly.  As I talk to more and more athletes every day, it becomes easier to understand and pick the ones who are preparing to succeed vs those who are trying to chase it!

So, my whole point of what I have said in previous blogs is across the board from all successful coaches in gaining success.


As with anything success breeds success, starting with a beginner who completes their first race to an Ironman wanting to qualify for Hawaii.  As it has with TMC, we have grown to over 60 athletes and had to add an extra coach to the stable and now have 4 coaches and also having a female coach Kim Michell, it gives us the ability to continue to grow and cope with the enquiries that we are receiving.  This year we have 2 athletes (at time of writing as we have a few more racing) competing at Hawaii (myself included) and by the way the performances have gone, I would expect this number to double for next year.

Throw in a qualifier for the Olympic Distance World Titles in New Zealand, it has been a rather successful period for us.  This can only be achieved by people committing to not only TMC, but also to themselves in what they want to get out of the sport.  Everyday I am communicating with my athletes who are at various abilities, builds and expectations, however one thing is those who have committed are on the right path to ticking off their goals.

I cannot say how much I enjoy not just coaching my athletes, but getting out there when the weather is good, bad or indifferent and just slugging it out with them.  Getting to know them better, know them when they are fatigued, hurting, or even travelling along smoothly.  This continues my passion and want to help people achieve what they want to as I have been fortunate to have ticked off some pretty significant goals in my fleeting triathlon career.

So in saying that, there are more athletes that I need to call, including another potential "newbie", also have to put the finishing touches on my talk for tomorrow night and even commence my core strength program.  This was the 2nd of my New Years Goals as stated in this blog.  So, once this becomes consistent, I will have ticked off both of my new years resolutions.... How have you gone with yours?





For now...

X-Man

PS.  I have reactivated my comments section, so please feel free to comment, even if anonymously.