Sunday, March 3, 2013

March Madness!!

It has been a while since posting, but I thought that I would get the wheels rolling again..

So as we hit the last 3 weeks before Ironman Melbourne.  For all my 1st timers and a few of the experienced guys, the time is near where we shut up shop.

This is the part where I turn from coach to counsillor. When everyone who has missed a session, asked about where they can make it up.  My advice is always the same, you never make it up, you let it go, that is the way the program is structured.

For the ones who have done all they can, time to tick the final few boxes before we shut up shop.  Time to just get through the week and weekend the best you can, ignore the negative thoughts and get the job done.

Once this weekend is done, feet up, recovery, taper and freshen up for the big day ahead.

My roll call is: (in no particular order)

Lee Martin (2nd Ironman)
Tom Lazarus (2nd Ironman)
Mark Steers (1st Ironman)
Dale Smedley (1st Ironman)
Clayton Stairmaid (1st Ironman)
Reed Hughes (1st Ironman in 12 years)
Ben Robinson (5th Ironman)
Archie Ball (6th Ironman)
Adam McCarthy (1st Ironman)
Kane Roach (1st Ironman)
Jerome Peyton (2nd Ironman)
Dan Palmer (1st Ironman)
Damien Harris (1st Ironman)
Ben Hughes (2nd Ironman)

And I have also been assisting Daniel Hopper along the way.

My training has been really inconsistent with some big sessions and some weeks of very little.  My focus has been on the above crew in aiding them getting to the start line in the best shape possible.  The next 12 days will define my race after not running for the last 8 days due to travel, testing etc it is important for me to get some decent k's in the next week and a bit.  I am still training with my guys and will be trying to add some sessions for myself.  Time will tell.

Over the weekend I also had some athletes race at both Ironman New Zealand and Sufferfest in Warrnambool.

In New Zealand, Jason Dwyer broke 12 hrs going 11hr 50min which improved his Melbourne time the previous year by 40min!
John Cahill had a solid race just sneaking under the 11mark in 10hr 58min.  He had a 56min swim, 5hr 30min ride and the same run time as I did there.... 4hr 30min...ah the curse.
Ryan Rosello (NZ athlete) had a very solid race in 10hr 30min finishing 23rd in his a/g, after just 2 months coaching, this was a great result.

For Now...

X-Man

PS. I will give an update of what I have been up to of late and what the lead in entails.

No comments:

Post a Comment