Friday, June 12, 2009

TT'd to victory

To answer all the questions from my previous post:

Yes I did have the legs, my legs felt great in fact,
No, I didn't spend to many pennies on the previous stages.

So, it all came down to the 27.5k TT, with me giving a 40second start to the leader and sitting in 8th before the final stage. What was also interesting was that 10 riders were all within 1 minute of the leader going into the final TT, with this in mind many placings were up for grabs and the podium was not sorted.

In the morning of the final stage, I actually found myself rather nervous due to the expectations that this race was well and truly within reach for me, just needed a good TT and no mishaps.

I started well and managed to pass 3 riders withing the first 5-6k and was on track to record a good time, with not knowing who was riding well behind me, I just had to focus on what I could do and hopefully the the rest would take care of itself.

Into the 2nd lap I had already passed 5-6 riders and feeling good at this stage. After looking at my clock I set myself a goal of breaking 40min for the 27.5k. With this in mind I was sure that the others riders would not be able to complete such a time and that I would be right up there in the finish. So, passing2 more riders in the final lap and having the motivation of the time, I really drove hard.

Also, remembering with Komo said about not having to "run off the bike" this time, there is no reason to leave anything in the tank. Coming up to the finish I stopped the clock in 40.03min (6th overall for the day) with an average speed of 41.2kph. Happy days!!

Waiting until everyone had finished I went to check the results and was informed that I had out rode the rest by 3min 30 sec odd for the stage with meant I won the 3 Day Tour by 2min 40 sec.

Jarrod also had a cracking TT stopping the clock in 39min 36sec (5th overall TT time) to ride himself into 4th overall. A great effort by someone in their first road race. Well done mate, even though we won't hear the end of it now!!

Another result that surprised me was the 2nd placing I managed in the sprint title, finishing on 9 points, 1 behind the winner.

Overall, was a great weekend of Cycling, with this also being the catalyst for my drive to race "A" grade from here on in.

For now...

X-Man

4 comments:

  1. X-man,

    Great effort - sounds like the rest of the riders may be out to get you now you have the "3day tour" crown. I'm sure you will tackle "A" grade with the same endevour.

    Big Boy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its welcome to 'A' grade. Enjoy the race on Sunday. Stormy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome effort X Man, believe believe and you did. You unleashed your weapon on the last day to take the title, perfect. Great executed strategy, well done. Leave our grades alone, 'A' for you :) will give the rest of us a chance now.

    Giddy up,

    Koo

    ReplyDelete