Sunday, September 27, 2009

Training Program or Training Partner??

For me, training partners are way more important. Unless you are so motivated that it doesn't matter that you consistently do 12-14 sessions a week solo, but who can say that they can do this??

I know a balance between the both is probably the best results, however, when you have training partners that are flexible with the schedule and you can utilize each other or groups, the result is usually more productive. At times I know that without a training partner, no matter if there is a program in front of me or not, I would not be able to complete a session, let alone get some quality out of it.

So, I pose the question, how many people waste money on a program that they do not entirely follow for one reason or another?? During my short life at this sport, there are very few who can say that the program is the only training they will do and not budge from that.

I am lucky enough to have developed a good training network, that covers all three disciplines and enables me to be flexible to change sessions to get some really good quality training in. In saying this, a few solo sessions with podsy (Ipod) can be rather refreshing.

I can see the benefit from having a coach for advice etc, but it is really a coach that you need, or just a mentor?? Someone to write you a program or someone you can call when things are not quite right or for re-assurance? A GOOD coach will be able to do both of these, and should be able to also. I have found that many coaches these days are going to quantity of athletes trying to develop a large group to line their pockets $$$$. I know this is a job for many, but a coach is someone who is more than a boss, it should be a partnership to achieve the goals you want.

So this brings me back to my topic, what is more important?? A Program or Partner? For me, I'll take training partners every day.

With this, my training this year to date has been more productive and consistent than the previous two years as I can call on a variety of people with a variety of levels to achieve what I want. I have also been able to have minimal time off the track due to injuries as I have not been involved in EGO training in which training becomes too competitive regulary and the chance of injuries rises and enjoyment lowers.

So for now, I have no reason to change and will follow this theory until my performance tells me otherwise. With 10 weeks to go until Ironman Western Australia, my focus is on what I can do and not I can't due to poor training scheduling. Anyway, off to finish the weekend with another solid afternoon.

For now...

X-Man

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmmm - no training partners out my way and travel time puts restraints on most meet up's (I have found that for me - my training requirements eliminates me from training with most other guys I know as I go a lot slower for the same result - ha ha) - flexibility has always been a main priority in my mid-week training schedule and adjustment are often made on the training / work / family time restraint which occur each day.

    Most programs, as I understand, seem to be written towards the individual and their preceived training requirements - so to get involved in EGO training, possibly puts you way outside this program requirements and is not the programmers fault but the athlete executing the program.

    I would say that your training program is set up around what you have learnt from your previous two years under a coach and that you have now established your training network of training partners of your equal (if not slightly above) your training intensity levels requiremnets and those who's company you enjoy.
    Anyway back to the grid - early starts / late finishes - and still people seeking to put me in one of them white jackets. 10 weeks of madness.

    See you for an easy ride / run session maybe - in a recovery week???

    Big Boy

    ps - say hi to Carla and tell her good luck for Kona

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, this post looks like you are writing it for the coach as it seems he is trying to get recognition from the only semi-decent athlete that he has had. In my opinion, to get anywhere, everyone needs a coach. It will interesting to see what happens at Ironman for the X-Man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does Chris MACCA have a coach? I don't think so. Does Craig AL. have a coach? I don't think so. Training and racing is about enjoying your sport. If you enjoy the grind of a program, go for your life. If you like the X-MAN theory, go for it. What ever training path you decide to go down, ensure you enjoy what you do. Stormy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete