Sunday, February 28, 2010

Beauty....




With one week to go before Ironman NZ and well and truely into my taper period, which to date has gone well and has not affected me with the traditional "taper blues". Thanks to Florian at Erox for supplying my wheels, this will be my look for the race. I have ridden these wheels a few times in the recent weeks and have found them to be equivelant to my former disc wheel. The real test will ofcourse be on race day. However in saying this, if you are not comfortable with your wheels you will make excuses for not riding well on them.

THE BEAST...




I would also like George from Degani for supplying my race suit, so I will be in the Traditional Degani Black & White. With support from people like Erox & Team Degani, it does make competing at the pointy end a lot easier.


The legs are really starting to freshen up and with one more session with Jason, I know they will be in prime condition come race day. Carla & I fly out on Tuesday and no doubt will be inspecting the course to get familiar with it pre-race. I have been getting some really good advice from a few people who either have raced on this course before or have loads of experience in the caper.

I also re-discovered water this week and felt really good doing it. I have only had a handful of swims this year and have found that I have not lost to much fitness in the wet stuff!! Overall I am very happy with my condition and will definately giving it my all to grab that elusive "slot".
Finally, something that I have failed to do with previous races is to thank everyone who has helped me get into the shape that I am.
So, here goes:
Stormy; for all the texts at 4.30am confirming week day rides, and also making sure that every session has been quality and worth while.
Jas; for spending more time with me every weekend on the bike than what we do with our partners!! Also, helping me start to enjoy climbing hills, even if I am still no good at it!!! And no, I am not going to ever do a 24hour MTB race. Ofcourse, Bec his wife for cooking my pancakes post ride, and for TRYING to keep me quiet at 5am after 3 early morning coffees!
Trav & Arch; for really helping with my running, and dragging me to some undulating runs regulary to once again help conquer the hills.
And finally, Carla; When two people in the same household are training for the same significant event, it takes a lot of patience and strong will to both keep going strong and motivating each other.
So, after training solid since June '09, I am going to give it all at New Zealand like previous races. I have set my race plan, which will be slightly different to previous and will see if this pays dividends. Time will tell.
MTR-Racing is really taking off with some great early results and more and more interest from athletes who are interested in joining. Positive breeds positive!!
So with that and leaving ALL the excuses at the door, I might be able to blog once more pre-race but if I don't a in depth race report will be given post race with a heavy unfluence of the amber liquid!!
For now...
X-Man



2 comments:

  1. Hi X-man,

    Beast / bike look all in good nick. The story has already been written - all you need to do is play your part - race hard, leave nothing in the tank and the rest will happen.

    Good luck

    Big Boy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bro! (New Zealand accent) anyone who has trained with you, beside you and more than likely behind you, will agree you are i pretty good nick! Time will tell that hard work, early morning starts, suffering through rides with not enough nutrition not only have made you faster, harder, mentally stronger and finally more deserving of what will come about over there in the home of the long white cloud!

    Race hard, leave nothing to dwell on and we will share a laugh and a beer or two when you get home. Choice hey!

    P.s. Carla same goes to you my dear, you've been there before and you know what is needed go and enjoy yourself and success will come.

    P.P.s. In reading back over this comment I think fatherhood has made me a little sentimental and soft!

    quiggs

    ReplyDelete