Saturday, October 2, 2010

Who would have thought??

Sitting here after race rego and briefing a few things have come to mind regarding this trip to the Gold Coast for the 1/2 Ironman.

1. That is is raining here on the Gold Coast, and beautiful in Melbourne.

2. That I would be watching a replay of the AFL Grand Final.

3. That on a harmless training ride this morning and brand new tyres, Trav would puncture.

4. And finally, after going through all the training and pre race checks, that I find a crack in my top tube as I affix my race number to it.

Where to go from here. Well the first 3 are either happening, been resolved or out of my control. Number 4 is the concern. I should have taken a photo of the crack for future, however it is on the seat end of the top tube ans easily over 1/2 Inch long. What am I going to do?? I simply have two options. Withdraw due to this issue or race and see what happens. Now me being the punting man and also committing time and effort for this race I am going to race and see what happens.

So, I am going to strap the bike up over the crack with the below tape for this race and deal with the issue once home. I will find out the result/effect of this once I mount my stead tomorrow and fingers crossed that it gets me through...In 1 piece.





My theory behind this that if it can hold body parts in place during a physical game of AFL, NFL or other contact sports, I am sure it can hold my frame together with a 90kgs rider pushing the power through it.....(Hope that I am not being to naive with this!!)

The rest of the afternoon is sitting back watching the AFL grand final turn into the result that I really don't want to see....So maybe I will switch it over to the World Road Racing Championships for the Women.

Any way enough for me, I can feel myself going greyer with stress over the crack.

For now...

X-Man

No comments:

Post a Comment