Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 - The Year in review......Part 1

I say part 1 as this was how my year really was....In 2 parts and it would be unfair to really include both in the same review.

I started 2010 with grand dreams after a near perfect 2009, after just missing my Kona spot at WA, I really thought that getting that spot at New Zealand Ironman would be a walk in the park. I started the year thinking that it would just happen, little did I know in this sport.....nothing just happens. I was very complacent with my training and only swam three times for the year leading in. I did a lot of cycling (as I always did) and was very inconsistent with my running. I would run 20+k on consecutive days but then would be forced to have days off due to being exhausted. This was my pattern for most part of the months leading into IMNZ. My weight was also up on previous years, started the race at 96.5kgs. 4kgs more than the first 2 Ironmans that I had done.

Hence you could say that I was always going to struggle to have a good race let alone get my kona spot. Below is the race report of the race :

http://xaviercoppock.blogspot.com/2010/03/2-perfect1-not-so-perfect.html

So after that disappointing race and not reaching my goal, I did some soul searching and decided it was time to find a coach who could take me to Kona.

The search begun, contacting no less than 6 coaches and seeking advice from many an athlete about various coaches, I was determined to find the coach who not only could take me to Kona, but who was also one that I was more than comfortable working with.

This process took a few weeks, which didn't bother me as I had no idea what was next in store for me. A lot of research went into my search for the "right" coach and I was determined to find him/her. I had my criteria, whether necessary or not, but I was adamant to make sure this coach was going to suit me, not just sell me a program and only want something to do with me once I started showing some potential.

After going through my process, I decided to take the next step and meet with Andrew Sinclair, from Triathlon & Multisport coaching, to see if we suited each other. After meeting up with him and talking about goals etc, he was my man. We then sat down and worked out goals for 2010 together in what we both thought was achievable and set about designing a program to suit this.

It would be easy to say the rest is history, but the year was way to successful to leave it at that.

For now...

X-Man

Part 2 to follow in a few days.

Have a happy new years and a better 2011!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment