Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To get where you've never been, you've got to do what you've never done!!

For me, this is running.

Last year I thought I ran, but didn't. I mean I did the occasional run, about 2-3 times a week for a max of 2 hr 20min for the whole preparation for Ironman. I understood why this happened, as my coach then wanted to look after my larger frame. And I must say, it worked for me.

My focus last year was my ride and ride only and spent approx 75-80% of my training time in the saddle with approx 10% spent on the other two disciplines.

This approach was fantastic for last year as I was a newbie to the sport and had no idea of how my body was going to stand up.

Now I feel that I have been promoted to Rookie!!! Still no nothing and have experience of 1 whole race, even though if I could repeat that race every time I would be pleased.

Aside from this, a bloke named Lance did write a book titled: It's not all about the bike. I know after reading this book, it has nothing to do with Triathlons, however the title is relevant to the sport. Also, some other guy that I train with did mention the same thing!!

So, after churning out 7 hours in 4 days running and regular 2 hour Tuesday sessions, my running has improved a great deal. My speed has not changed much, however my endurance is building more and more every session.

The ratio of sessions is still favoured by the bike, however the run has taken a large chunk of the pie and would be up around 35-40% of training time now. The swim is still on the back burner as I see many an athlete swim like a fish but have nothing for the two main aspects of the race. A sub hour swim is all that I am after, and then make time on the other two legs.

I have also been punished on the mag trainer the previous two nights and have found this to be beneficial at this time of training. I have left it late, as I usually do, so that I don't get sick of the monotonous aspect of this training. All is on track for now, even my weight has dropped below the 92kgs mark, which means I am on track to get down to 90kgs or just below come race day. Weight is not my main priority, no special diets for me, still a few frothies also. Still have to enjoy training to want to do it.

For now...

X-Man

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmmmm - yep.

    The run is the crunch time for me. Maybe you lose 10min on the bike leg but that can be made up in the 30+min gain in a strong run. 95% of my training is sole (no training partners out this way) and people ask me why I train without iPod on the 2.30hr+ run sessions. Simple - I need to put my mind in that place where I feel every bit of hurt in this old body of mine, so come race day I know where I'm at at any stage of the run - knowing I've been here before and ran thru it is a great tool for me - just another game with my mind (the understanding of what's real and what's not real - but that's another mind game again - ha ha just keeps going on)

    Swimming is done at regular intervals, for me, as that base fitness is still required to be maintained and confedence in the ablity to finish the swim unstressed.

    Big Boy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Boy - the only reason you don't listen to Mr iPod while running is because they haven't converted your "Golden Oldies" to iPod format yet. Keep up the good work mate - knowing you are out there consistantly smashing up the pavement is motivation for us youngsters. See you out there soon. By the way whose blog is this anyway?
    Cheers Ben

    ReplyDelete