Monday, January 4, 2010

2009 - A Year in Review

So, with a New Year beginning, I thought I would reflect on 2009. A quick reflection as the future is ahead and there is no point living in the past.

The year started with Geelong Half Ironman. This was my first race for the year after a successful WA Ironman in 2008. The day prior was the famous (for all the wrong reasons) Black Saturday here in Victoria. I was happy with my race, broke 4 hrs 30min. I had a terrible swim, solid bike and steady run. Nothing to spectacular, a solid day out.

From there I headed to Jervis Bay for the Austrlian Long Course titles. Was very happy with my race, 18th in my age group, a long way from the top age groupers!!! Gave me some perspective on where I am at and what I needed to improve, THE RUN.

Finished my season by heading across to Adelaide to compete in the Murray Man tri. Really enjoyed this race and had a good end to the season. Had a good swim, 6th fastest bike for the day and an ok run. 6th in my age.

The start of the new season was up in Yeppoon for the 1/2 Ironman there. Once again my swim was terrible, my bike good and my run solid. Was a tough day out there with most athletes going 5-10 minutes slower than the previous year. For me, I went only 1 minute slower which included a 7 minute slower swim. 35th overall, 6th in age. 9th fastest ride time, fastest in age.

Shepparton was to follow in November. This as per last year was going to be a guide on where I thought I was at leading into WA Ironman in the following 4 weeks.
With the swim being non wetsuit, I thought it would be tough for me to PB. I was very happy with my swim, had a solid bike time, (including breaking my disc, so no disc for WA!!) and my run was solid again. Was on track to break 90min, however faded towards the end to just miss out. 7th in my age here, PB by 3 min, everything on track for WA.

My final race for the year was WA Ironman. For me Ironman #2 and hoping to crack into the top 3 for a slot at Kona. Miss by 1 minute :(, was passed in the final 2 km by 2 runners. I thought I was unlucky until I realised the guy who finished 4th, missed a spot by 7 sec. Now that's shattering. I PB'd my swim, 57.03min. Had a solid ride 1st age group 16th overall. 4hr 43min 43sec. Just needed to hold steady in the run. PB'd the run, so cannot complain, but missed a spot. Finished 36th overall, 5th in age. just under 4min PB in a lot tougher conditions.

So, with 2009 under the belt, and with another year of learning and experience I am looking forward to what 2010 brings (Kona???? Please!!!). I will start the season off with Geelong again and then head to NZ for the Ironman over there in March.

For now, I will be enjoying my new gadget, the garmin. I have had this since November last year and am just now starting to enjoy the benefits from it. It is a great training tool and one that I will use as such.

I will post regular training rides (If I can work out how!!) and reports on such.

For Now...

X-Man

No comments:

Post a Comment