Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Australian Long Course Report - Jervis Bay 22nd Feb 2009

Well, after enduring 20 hours of travel within 3 days to Jervis Bay and return, I was very happy with my performance.

Komo, Princess, Gaffer and myself made the long journey Friday afternoon to Jervis Bay to compete in the Australian Long Course Triathlon Championships.

What turned out the be perfect conditions to race (besides the large amounts of jelly fish!!), awith no wind and favourable weather also.

The swim was in waves consisting of a 2km bay swim in which I was very happy with my swim after Geelong by having a clear path in front of me. This probably cost me a little bit of time as I didn't seek any advantage by following someone. I just wanted to regain some confidence by getting throu the swim.

Swim time: 31min 34 sec

The bike course consisted of three 27km laps with rolling hills and no flat section whatsoever. This type of course suits me, however with the amount of drafting that occurred some bike times were well and truley favourable compared to the riding ability. On the last lap, I saw a minimum of 6 riders get done for drafting!!!

Bike time: 2hr 08min 58sec (8th in age)

Onto the run in which I really wanted to have agood one.

This consisted of two 10km laps with two short sharp rises, only about 50m long, but they took some sting out of my legs each time.

I managed to "red line" the run and get throu with my heart rate above 180bpm for the entire run.

Run time 1hr 27min in which I was very happy with.

Overall, my time 4hr 11min (18th Age) was only 1min behind the time i wanted to go, so a good day for me.

My heart rate for the day averaged 178bpm with a max of 193bpm, so i sure had a good crack.

And I can say that the only thing that went wrong was that I was not fast enough!! Man there were some really fast athletes there, a real eye opener for me.

Also after this race, I have decided to have a real crack at running this winter to see if I can get my run times down to a competitive level as my bike is there currently.

Apart from an enjoyable race, I enjoyed the weekend with the boys and seeing how a true professional prepares for his race (Komo) which taught me a thing or two regarding prepartion. The other two boys also put in cracker races with Princess coming across the line in 4hr 9min and Komo 4 hr 16min.

From here I am heading across to the Murray Man Triathlon at the end of March to compete in a long course race, which will bring a wrap to my season and also give me an indication if I will apply for the World Long Course Championships in Perth.

For now...

X-man

No comments:

Post a Comment