Thursday, February 5, 2009

Geelong 70.3 Pre race thoughts

Following up from my last post, I am still on weather watch, knowing now that Saturday will be a lazy 43 odd degrees, will this weather carry over till sunday. Current forecast at time of writing was 23 deg with chance of rain, WHAT THE?? That's why we live in and love Melbourne!!!

Another question that has come to mind is about a non-wetsuit swim, which, to be honest would not worry me due to swimming a fair amount recently without my wetsuit in case this situation occurs.

I think I will leave my final race prep until sunday morn, be prepared for all situations with the above and questions from my last post. This, however is not my ideal preparation, but with the weather so variable, I will leave it till last minute.

My goal for the race is to PB 2 of the 3 legs. Current PB's are:

Swim: 29.06

Ride: 2hr 22min

Run: 1hr 36min.

I was originally going to look at qualifying for Florida 1/2 Ironman World Champs, however with the $$$ the way it is, I have changed my focus to the Long Course National Champs in Jervis Bay, NSW on Feb 22nd. Yes only 2 weeks after Geelong. With all things going to plan, this should hopefully enable me to compete in the Long Course World Champs in Perth, WA later in the year.

This week has been a solid week for me with training, after being dropped in the Crit at Footscray on Saturday after 35min (Where have my Crit legs gone???) I have had 3 solid rides this week and still clicked just under 300kms, thanks Ron & Stormy. Throw in swimming every day to aid with recovery and still rolling the arms over and 1 solid run early in the week and 1 tempo run Wednesday night, I feel in good shape.

My massuer, Sam, had me crawling all over the table on Tuesday night, but hey, it works wonders. The boys at SALTER CYCLES have done another great job in looking after my bike with servicing and a few alterations. Thanks Adrian.

The remaining few days gefore Geelong will entail an easy swim tomorrow morn and an easy run tomorrow night. Sat morn I will ride 1 lap of the course with Dad, who is competing in the Teams event with Ron "super fish" and Phil (Good mate of mine) before engaging in the pre race events on saturday and avoiding the heat.

For now and this week, I am signing off.

Hope to report a good race report early next week.... Good luck to all the fellow ETPA's who are also competing, look forward to seeing many a PB.

2 comments:

  1. Good preparation so far... All it is missing is the secret ingredient... Yes, we know what that is Facta!!! A solid night on the grog and a late night to remind the body of the work it needs to do...

    Thanks for the phone call that provided me with the piece of mind that all preparations were truly in place... A plan that works needs to be maintained and to hear you call up completely paro lends me to think that this race will be another success...

    All the best on sunday and I look forward to seeing the results on the board...

    Cheers mate... Go Get Em...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck tomorrow, smash it up. I like the WA idea! Stormy

    ReplyDelete