Saturday, February 14, 2009

Where's your head at??

After being away on the Gold Coast for a work conference the last few days with minimal training on the body, my mind decided to do some training for me.

Listening to a Motivational speaker/ comedian (funny combo, but hey it was fantastic!!), a few thoughts started to run through my mind about what was being presented to me.

What stuck in my mind the most was the discussion about the brain.... The brain takes up approx 2-3% of your body weight however uses around 20% of your bodies energy, more than any other organ!!!!

Where am I going with this you ask??

Well, I am a practical joker who hasn't stressed to much about the triathlon caper to much so far. My motto has been to enjoy it, because once the enjoyment has gone, I might as well give up.

So, with MOST of my races to date taking this approach and recording a PB in just about all of them, and enjoying being racing, looking back I noticed one significant difference about the Geelong 70.3 race.

I was the only one that was stressed out of the group, and what happened?? Didn't race as well as I expected, nor did I enjoy the race as much as others!!

So, going back to my topic, "Where's you head at?". Where was my head at?

Did I place to many expectations on myself, or have I raced to much this season with 5 Olympic distance tri's or more under my belt (with 4 races remaining) so far and around 10 crits at Footscray. Or was it just the fact the I didn't sleep to well the night previous and had basically raced the race in my mind before the start line??

When I look at the other athletes that I regularly race with, they were all very relaxed this race....Komo had beer and pizza the night previous and recorded a 7min improvement from previous year (my standard pre race dinner), Crash hadn't trained much in the previous weeks due to work commitments, so had no expectations about the race 10 min improvement(no stress!!) Pistol had only been training where he could around renovations on his house, over 18 min pb (Congrates on making Clearwater!) and KP looked a lot more relaxed pre-race than I have seen him before. (Congrates also on Clearwater!)

So with looking back at this, how much energy did I waste in the top 6 inches??

With this in mind, I am going to revert to my "normal" pre race routine this weekend at the National Long Course Titles at Jervis Bay and hopefully ENJOY my race and let the result take care of itself.

Hopefully I have uncovered "Where my head was at".

X-Man

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bud - I know what was wrong and why you were not as relaxed as previous races - I wasn't there for you to irritate, you couldnt let down my tyres, put stickers on my aero helmut etc etc to relieve the tension. Watch out Princess and Komo - you are in for AN experience - good luck and have fun.
    And mate - even though you didnt get a PB your times are still @#$ken awesome.
    Cheers, race well and have a ball at Jervis Bay (I heard a rumor of sharks in the bay last week) CRASH.

    ReplyDelete