Saturday, August 15, 2009

Front tyre into soft sand = head first over handlebars!

Yes the heading says it all.

I ventured out with Big Boy yesterday for a few efforts to get the legs going. After finishing off the efforts, I noticed George from Degani heading back in the other direction. I decided to join up and have a yarn with him.

So with all my bike skills, I endeavoured to cross the center medium strip.....This is where everything went wrong.

After lifting the front wheel onto what I thought was solid ground and then also lifting my rear wheel, I soon realised the my front wheel started to sink into soft sand. Well, for many a cyclist, a lot will know the story from here. For those who don't know, see the two pictures below.

If you can imagine a mix between the two, well that is what happened. Probably more similar to the first picture, however landing of a softer surface.

Yes I did suffer an injury, my right shin smashed into the the tri bar. Well, if you have ever walked into a tow ball on the back of a car, the pain of this was about 4 times as much. 92kgs going into the tri bar, not a pleasant feeling. The swelling continued to increase, so applying some ice regularly. See picture below:










After regular treatments of ice, and an easy swim in the ocean, the swelling has subsided a little bit, however the pain is still present. An easy run today will determine if I do actually race tomorrow. Further regular icing and cold water wading should assist the pain. I will leave my decision until the morning. I am confident of making the start line in good shape and if I do race, I will be 100% with no excuses if I don't race well as I have prepared well for this race.

I will update later today.

For now...

X-Man

2 comments:

  1. You now have the title Xavier "CRASH" Coppock. Well at least until my next ride.

    ReplyDelete