Monday, August 17, 2009

The Race Report....

I will do this report is two parts.....The first will be before I saw the overall results and the second after I saw the results.

The short bit:

Swim: 36.07 - poor, into a strong current, hoping to still go 32ish after I heard the leading "open" swam 27.
Bike: 2hr 21min 41 sec, wanted to break 2hr 20min, so was reasonably happy with this time.
Run: 1hr 38min 50sec, legs were tired, so was happy as I felt like I held form for the entire run and didn't feel like I tired towards the end.

Overall: 4hr 36min 39sec. Wasn't what I wanted, however only 1 minute slower than last year with a 7 minute slower swim.

The long bit:

You all know the jargon, so won't bore you with it, only the bits that stick to mind.

Standing at the start, the announcer informed us that the first swimmer was out of the water in 27min, 3-4 minutes slower than expected. Was going to be a tough swim for me. They tried to tell us that it was current assisted....NO chance.

So another panic attack for me 400m into the swim and had to stop to gather myself....why does this continue to happen?? An answer that I am going to have to search for.

Getting through the swim was my goal after this, standing to see my watch 35min and still the run up to the transition meant a slow day for me.

Mounting my bike, legs felt good, did the usual hard first hour than settled back into a comfortable rhythm. Catching a lot of the swimmers as per usual saw myself towing a pack of riders as normal around the course. My nutrition plan was not perfect but still was happy with the bike.

At the start of the run, pulling out actually crossed my mind, for the first time!!! Was in a world of hurt, and was unsure how long I would be able to run for. Just get through one lap and see how I feel. So after 1 lap, legs felt alright and I continued on my merry way. The one thing different this race compared to others was that not many people ran passed me, still the pure runners did, however after the first lap, they were few and far between. I actually thought that I was having a good day on the run, even though my legs started telling me different stories.

Maybe the two snakes I saw soaking up the rays on the path persuaded me to get a wriggle on (pardon the pun!!) and avoid the fangs.

Crossing the line, I was happy with my time and considering the tough conditions, thought that I might have just broken into the top 50, but was unsure. Straight into the pool to wait for the others.

Now, report after the results shown:

Swim, still poor 23rd in age, 125th overall
Ride, fantastic, 1st in age, 9th overall!!!
Run, great 10th in age, 79th overall

Overall, 6th in age, 35th overall.

It is funny to reflect on your race once you see the comparative results of the others. Instead of losing 15-17 min on the run, I only lost 8 min to the age group winner. So my running is progressing and my bike has stabilised, just need to work on my swim starts in open water. Maybe some expert advice is needed to overcome this fear.

Anyway, a few beers with Big Boy (4th in his age) made the afternoon very enjoyable. Justin in his first half for a number of years finished 21st in his age and Carla finished 2nd in her age. A great results had by all.

A small swim and a few more beers this afternoon will cap off a great time away in the sun.

Then back to serious training for Ironman WA.

For now...

X-Man

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying the sun? Make the most of it, its cold and windy at home. Great race mate, catch you in a week. Stormy

    ReplyDelete