Sunday, February 26, 2012

Great Little hit out!

So this morning, I headed down to do a Sprint Distance race 700m swim, 20k bike ride and 5k run. I had no expectations apart from having a decent type of race. Putting my feet through some intensity was also the plan to see how they would react post race.

The weather was quite warm and with the wind picking up, I was rather happy to have a choppy swim as as most of us know, Melbourne weather is likely to throw up conditions like that for IM Melbourne.

In and out of the swim in 4th in my Age Group was pleasing although I did manage to get held up when passing the groups in front. Although the swim was short, the further it went the choppier it got. So exiting the water, my body knew that I hadn't raced in some time as the lungs were screaming at me by this stage.

The run to Transition at Sandringham has to be the longest run b/t swim and T1 that I have been in. The only run that compares is the run from the swim to T1 at IMNZ!

The bike conditions seemed to get tougher throughout the 2 laps also. There is one thing about my riding, regardless of Sprint to Ironman distance races, I seem to average the same speed every time...I think today was around the 39kph mark. It was also the first race where I didn't have any speed measuring devices on me, which was quite pleasing on the mind, just worrying about how I was feeling was enjoyable.

Off the bike a onto the run, I was very curious how the feet were going to hold up. Ticking over the 5k's in 20mins was also pleasing as I have had no speed work in my body for some time. Recovering after the race was very quick apart from my feet which have been giving my grief all afternoon.

I managed to jag a 2nd in my a/g which topped off a nice day.

Tomorrow I am back in the pool with a M/T session in the evening.

This one is for you Mum (25/12/53 - 25/03/07)..

X-Man

No comments:

Post a Comment