Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day 12.... Welcome to Training

Looking at my program for the next 2 weeks starting form today, I am not going to lie, it is going to be tough.  My aim is too not look too far into it, however just tick off the days as they come.

A brief run down goes like this:

Including today, 3 full course or above rides.  2 Long runs over 2hr 30mins.

They are the main sessions, throw in lots of 1hr runs, 3hr rides and it is hectic.

Today was a weird day weather wise.  There seemed to be no wind at all for the first 30k on the bike and then out of no where, we were riding into a stiff head wind.

The climb to Hawi was a bit of a tail wind, however on the return, the wind changed direction and was a tricky cross wind.

On any other day of the week, it probably wouldn't be tricky, today wasn't any other day of the week though.  The wind just changed and it was making the deep front wheel a little unstable.  I had experienced this previously, however it was Greg's first trip out there and some of the words he used reminded me of a kid on a roller coaster for the very first time!

We got back into Kawaihae, refilled our bottles for the second time, making the intake for the trip up over 10 bottles of either nutrition or hydration.  And to our surprise once we got back on the Queen K, it was another head wind.  I think for the 175k's that were ridden about 140 of them were into a head wind.

Getting home, having a brief change, washing the face, having some fluids, an easy run followed.  My legs took a little bit to get going, however felt good after 5-6min.  The day was hot and knowing that I had another run in the afternoon, I was conscious of just keeping the fluids in.

Finishing that run, feeling very happy from the mornings work, I knew that it was the best training day that I have put together in both preparations.

I started very sluggish in the afternoon, however came good at 15min or so, knowing that I have a long run tomorrow, I kept it easy and tried to preserve the legs.

A great day out there today, tough conditions, but feel like I got through it well, tomorrow morning's run will inform me of that.

For Now...

X-Man

1 comment:

  1. OMG, you did all this BEFORE I met you at brunch today? It was very nice to chat with you. I've emailed you the photo we took. Good luck in the coming 19 days. Have a tremendous race day! Be safe but go hard!

    ReplyDelete