Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day 14...The R's!

Rest, Recover and Reload.

That was the motto of today.

After a Big weekend, I was really looking forward to today.  A double swim, massage, and some general duties in preparation for another big few days.

This mornings swim was pretty good, although the water was rough and had some swell, Greg and I still managed 2k.  On the return, he saw a fin, just about jumped on my back, which made me swallow a massive amount of water.  Once we calmed down from him jumping on me and myself vomiting up the sea water we headed into shore.

Just before this swim, I met one of my Ironman idols, Chris Lieto.  We were sitting having a coffee and he strolled up on his scooter, had a look at the water and decided that it was too rough to go out there.  I tried to follow his lead, however his comment, "I get a bit spoilt being here, the water is usually like glass, I might head to the pool later" made me realise how good this place was. 

From that comment, I tried to convince Greg that it was best to stay on land, Chris then chimed in and said, "Hey, but I am not racing, you should go and swim" Shot down.  And as above, the swim was explained.
One day soon I will be prepared and have the "right" gear on!





A massage from Sean St Louis followed after breakfast which was just was the Dr ordered.  A few laughs and grimaces and I ready to put my feet up!

Getting back to my room, I just put my feet up, little did I know I awoke 2 hours later in a bit of a panic as I had organised another swim, this time in the pool.  Seeing the rain meant that the temperature was rather pleasant and the pool wouldn't feel so warm. (ah, the troubles we encounter!!)

I didn't have any real plans, so I just went with how I felt.

500 mixed warm up

5 x 200 on 3min cycle coming in on 2.30 paddles/buoy
100 easy
10 x 100 on 1.20 cycle coming in on 1.15 or better paddles/buoy.  I got through 6 of these before my arms gave in the ghost, so I had 1 go without the "toys" and managed a 1.11, things falling into place for me.

Then an easy 100 c/d.  One thing that I must add is that it is a 25 yard pool, not meters.  I have been aware of this, but just failed to mention it.  So the times are not as fast as in a 25m pool, however still massive gains for me.

As an idea, swimming a 2min 30sec over 200 yards(182m) equates to swimming 200m in approx 2min 50 sec.  My whole idea has been strength building, not just speed.

Last year, I faded a bit in the swim, so by having more arm strength, I hope to be able to hold form throughout the race.

A monster pasta dish for dinner and a great day again.  Tomorrow sees a 6hr ride with a short run off it and great mate, Ian "Big Boy" Scott arrive in town.  Just hoping we keep things under wraps before the race!  The way I describe this guy is a 15 y.o in a 65 y.o body.  Happy Days!!

For Now.... Time to get things ready for tomorrow!

X-Man

No comments:

Post a Comment