Thursday, March 22, 2012

Appreciation..

So, the day draws closer, the excitement builds, the nerves gather.

The inaugural Ironman Melbourne is only a few days away and the hype is building. Plenty of people claiming that they are going the smash this, smoke that, people talking up there chances of going to Kona, PB's everywhere etc etc.
One thing people forget is the fact that there might just be better athletes out there on race day. People who have been in the sport longer, have a history of competing at a higher level or even just racing pro.

With all this in mind, just because you might not achieve your dream, doesn't mean that you haven't had a great day out there. If you do get the pb but still miss out on a Kona spot, well so be it, be happy. If you don't get a pb, don't go around making excuses, just maybe it was the day for you. There is nothing worse than listening to people making excuses for why they didn't make it.

I am really looking forward to the challenge of Sunday and after talking to a mate today, he made a valid point. The best age groupers in the country are racing Sunday (see previous post) which means that the competition is tougher and the times will be
faster.

Not only is the competition tougher physically, but more so mentally as these guys know how to get the job done. These guys don't crack when things might be going wrong, they just change their plans during the race. These are also the guys that take defeat graciously and never take away the better achievements from the others. They don't make excuses, don't complain about poor nutrition, equipment failure or blame volunteers, they are professional in their behaviour although racing age group.

Which one are you?

What I am trying to say here is just go out there do your best, have fun and appreciate what you have achieved. Many people wish they could do it but never will. Others just will never have the opportunity to. So for the rest of us, we are lucky, we are special, we are the ones who are able to achieve such a significant result no matter what the finish time is. To have that finishers medal hanging from your neck after crossing that finish line is somewhat an extraordinary achievement.

Enjoy it, remember it and love it.

Do you really think the following guy in the pic really cares about times etc? I am pretty sure he appreciates the fact the he can still compete.












Enjoy yourself, smile at loved ones who have made the journey to watch you, or been along for the roller coaster ride that we call Ironman Triathlon.

For me, having all my family coming to watch is amazing. I was lucky enough to have most of them there at Hawaii and am thankful that they really enjoy and understand to sport. This is amazing but there is 1 person that I am really racing for on Sunday. For those who have followed this blog, you will know that it is my Mum taken away 5 years on Sunday. Mum was there to watch my first 1/2 Ironman in 1999 up at Cairns and loved it. Or maybe she just loved the weather. Hard to tell as she was smiling all day.

With this in mind, I am going to remember that for the entire race, when I am hurting I am going to push harder, when I think that I have pushed for long and hard enough, I am going to push on more. The only time that I am going to stop is once I cross that finish line. I have 2 perfect motto's for my race and they are below.

If I am ever at the point of breaking, I am going to look upwards and know that she is there willing me on.












The next one is just ideal, makes so much sense and is so so true!











So, not only for myself, but for anyone out there, just think of how lucky we are to have numbers on and just the fact that we are the lucky ones.

This one is for you Mum...(25/12/53 - 25/03/07)

PS. I will blog again tomorrow which could be my final one before race day. Have to dedicate a few hours to my bike, well in need of a clean!!








No comments:

Post a Comment