Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ironman Melbourne Race Report

So, it is Thursday after the race of my life with the dedication that I could only dream of (see my new blog picture).

I am unsure why it has taken me this long to put pen to paper and write this report, after all, I broke 9hrs for the first time, was top 5 age groupers to finish and qualified for the Hawaiian Ironman for the 2nd successive year. The only thing that I can put it down to is the emotional factor.

It is really hard to accept the result that I achieved due to the lead in that I had. I suppose this is the driving factor for me going to Port Macquarie to race another Ironman in 5 weeks. I almost feel like I "cheated" the
system by going so well after such an interrupted preparation.
the emotional factor. Knowing why I raced, who I raced for and the result that I achieved. I also know at various stages of this report, tears will flow on reflection of the significance of the race for me, the support I received and even the special guest appearance from my Aunty and Uncle.

The only thing that I knew going into the race was that I had such an enormous base and that my running was going ok. With having time off to go to Perth (magic weekend) for a Watto's wedding and other things along the way I was really unsure of where I was at. With this in mind I really hit the social media hard with a few mind games here and there to unsettle a few of the guys in my a/g who were potentially a threat. This worked well for me and not so well for a few of them. In saying this I did manage to pick the top 5 in my a/g with Rob Creasy, Hayden Armstrong, Pablo Safrana & Tom Bakowski all mentioned pre race.

Now onto the race. Getting up at 3.30am to get the bus was slightly different, so I decided to make my morning routine slightly different to compensate for this. Yes I still had my routine vomits pre-race, this for some reason really settles me down once done!

Heading down to Frankston on the bus was unusual, however unique all the same, and I must say that I LOVED it. Got me thinking about the day ahead as all week I was consumed by work and the race wasn't really in the fore front of my mind. Thinking about the weather, my race plan and the "real" reason why I wanted to have a great race was a constant thought throughout the trip.

I did declare to my coach Andy during the race week that I would swim 58-59min, ride a 4hr 50min and I was going to run faster than what I did at Kona. Maybe a big call, however I thought that I could run under 3hr 15min. I just didn't realise what the day presented me.

Getting to Frankston, seeing everyone who travelled the distance to support me along with a few other athletes that either I knew, or coached put me in a really great frame of mind.

Heading into the swim was bizarre, I had received my NEW ROCKET SCIENCE WETSUIT only days be fore and it was the first time that I tried it on. Along with this it was going to be a swim start in the dark. This is the only criticism I have for the whole race, the swim start..... Everyone crept forward (me included as I was there to race and was not going to give anyone else an advantage!!) and the SUP's didn't really try to hold us back. Unlike Kona where there officials on the boards just simply prevent you from creeping forward, these guys did not enforce themselves on the pack.

So, after getting my self set, the horn sounded (also pretty pi55 weak!!) and the race was under way. I settled really well early and just focused on maintaining the feet in front of me. After about 2.5k I recognised Justin swimming next to me (I have this unusual knack of picking people I know in the swim) and after realising this I thought that I was travelling ok. Copping a kick to the left ear at the 2nd last buoy was weird as it made me cramp in my left calf.....no idea how that works!! Exiting the water in 56min 40 odd was pleasing.

My goal was to get into T1 and out as fast as I could and get the bike going.












With this taking place pretty fast, I was out onto my bike with my SCHNELL CARBON WHEELS, oh my god, these wheels fly. I set out to smack myself up on the bike to really set the scene for the remainder of my race. Catching the lead age group bunch after 50k on the bike was what I wanted. Having the likes of Sam Hume, Damien Angus & Greg Farrell behind me really gave me the opportunity that I wanted.












Getting to the 90k mark in 2hr 14min and the 2nd age grouper overall was amazing for me as I rode down some established pro athletes also. The 3rd 45k was all about consolidation and maintaining my lead. Damien Angus caught me out of the tunnel the 2nd time and just rode away. This didn't faze me as I never expected to be any where near him by race end.

Out onto the run knowing the support that I had and the ride of 4hr 42min which was my fastest IM ride, I was still confident of running a sub 3hr 15min Marathon.

This is the part of the race that I really am just in awe of. Running with the likes of Damien Angus (2010 35-39 WORLD champ) and Sam Hume (Multiple A/G podium @ Hawaii). Also being the lead age grouper for a while, having Brett Davidson run by me (He is the training partner of some guy called Craig Alexander!) And then one of my training partners and great mate Greg Farrell who went a lazy 8hr 48min to be the fastest age grouper just made me run with awe. I think that Ollie Allan who was the 4th age grouper home and 20 sec in front of me was thinking the same!













The run was just wonderful, having the support from everyone, getting time splits knowing I had 8min lead off the bike gave me confidence that I could pull something out of the hat and maybe even win my age group. Little did I know that Rob Creasy was absolutely flying and ran a 3hr marathon and after catching me at the 36k mark, I could not be happier for the guy to win.
Not only did I lay it on the line and have my fastest ride time, but also backed it up and had a 4min faster Marathon than I ever had before... Hats off!!














Having the pleasure of running with Damien & Sam (which still astounds me) I learnt so much from these 2 guys and the respect that I have for both not only during the race but also post race is as high as any other athlete I have ever met. It was an honour to mix it with them and I was lucky enough to have a better day and pip them towards the end.














The last few k's just flew by as I started to see everyone that supported me and just tried to acknowledge EVERYONE who was out there supporting, volunteering or just watching. Heading to the final 1km, Dad told me that I had some visitors waiting for me.

Little did I know when I got close to the finish chute I would see the sign my sister and brother in law made for me.











Seeing this instantly put a smile on my face as I know how much the day and my race meant to Naomi & Family. Going to where they were standing to give them an almighty cuddle I noticed my aunt & uncle also there, this day is just getting better.

After giving Naomi a massive cuddle, tears started to flow....I had better get out of there... I am an Ironman!! So from this I finished in 8hr 54min and saluted to Mum above as I knew she had been there with me all day.












Having Ollie Allan wait the 20 odd sec for me just also added to my day as he also had an amazing race. With my emotions running wild I picked him up and congratulated him. What followed this was just an awesome feeling.

My coach Andrew Sinclair, who was also the run director, presented me with the medal. After the performance that I laid down, to have my coach put the medal around my neck was just like a massive well done. Not only did he present my medal, but also Greg's. How he got the 1st & 5th fastest age groupers on the day just speaks volumes for the program and the guy. As you can see in the below photo how happy I am to see him.










Seeing everyone post race just really emphasised the support that I had and I was just elated to be able to produce the race that I did.










My times below:

Xavier COPPOCK
BIB AGE STATE/COUNTRY PROFESSION209 34 Keilor Park
Victoria Australia

SWIM BIKE RUN OVERALL RANK DIV.POS.
56:59 4:42:23 3:11:33 8:54:42 27 2

LEG DISTANCE PACE RANK DIV.POS.
TOTAL SWIM 3.8 km (56:59) 1:29/100m 135 27
BIKE SPLIT 1: 45 km 45 km (1:11:03) 38.00 km/h
BIKE SPLIT 2: 90 km 45 km (1:03:22) 42.61 km/h
BIKE SPLIT 3: 135 km 45 km (1:16:12) 35.43 km/h
BIKE SPLIT 4: 180 km 45 km (1:11:46) 37.62 km/h
TOTAL BIKE 180 km (4:42:23) 38.25 km/h 31 1

RUN SPLIT 1: 10 km 10 km (43:13) 4:19/km
RUN SPLIT 2: 20 km 10 km (43:39) 4:21/km
RUN SPLIT 3: 30 km 10 km (--:--) --/km
RUN SPLIT 4: 42.2 km 12.2 km (8:54:42) 43:49/km
TOTAL RUN 42.2 km (3:11:33) 4:32/km 27 2

TRANSITION TIME
T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE 2:05
T2: BIKE-TO-RUN 1:42

The next photo clearly shows when the actual realisation of my race sunk in.













There are so many people to thank. Mostly, Andrew for helping me out of a slump not long ago and having faith in me to achieve what I did. Scott @ XOSIZE for his continuing support along with ROCKET SCIENCE SPORTS. Karl @ SCHNELL CARBON WHEELS, not only did I ride a 4hr 42min, it was also the 2nd fastest a/g time of the day and 17th overall, no way was I in this shape! Luke & Flo @ ON running for shoes that just keep getting results.... (Ask Caroline Steffan sho ran a 3hr 2min Marathon after a smoking 4hr 35min bike). Anthony from CBD cycles for a partnership that is in its infancy but with great potential.

Without the above, I couldn't achieve my goals, but also without the love and support from all my friends and family, this day would never have been possible either as the emotional content could have out weighed any race that I wanted to do. To have so many of them already commit to coming to Hawaii, I can assure that I will lay it on the line even more there to achieve a far better result.

Finally, to do this race for my mum on such a significant day for me was something that I will never forget and I know that up there, you will be smiling and never forget either.

I have so many other things that I want to recap on about the weekend, so I will leave it at that for now and get to the others soon.

THAT ONE WAS FOR YOU MUM!!! (25/12/53 - 25/03/07)

X-Man

1 comment:

  1. Tri Bike Transfer transports bikes fully assembled to major triathlon events around Australia including Devonport, Melbourne Ironman , Mooloolabah, Sunshine Coast 70.3, Byron Bay and Noosa

    ReplyDelete